What causes electric shocks?

What causes electric shocks?

Electric shocks occur when a flow of electricity goes through a body. They can be caused by pool insulated wires or electrical equipment which hasn’t been grounded properly. Using electrical equipment while in contact with water can also cause an electric shock. The strength of the current and the length of the shock determine how damaging the shock is. Shocks can range from small, startling sensations to muscle spasms, paralysis, unconsciousness and death. The range of injury caused by electric shocks is extreme. A burn mark is usually found where the current entered and left the body. A lot of these can happen in the home from poor lighting installation and other cheap or DIY electrical jobs. The human body is a good conductor of electricity, so wearing dry, insulated gloves and footwear goes some way in protecting the wearer from electrical burns. Wood and rubber are also excellent sources of insulation.